I don’t know about you, but I get very excited about the prospect of a holiday! It doesn’t matter where it is (although at the moment I favour good old Blighty!), the thought of long luxurious days with your loved ones (and all being well, in the sun!) is the stuff of dreams!
So you have your time-off scheduled – tick, you have booked your fights – tick, you have booked your accommodation – tick, you book your holiday haircut and treat yourself to some holiday nails (of course hands and feet ladies!) and the countdown begins…………
Then the panic sets in! What shall I wear on the beach??
What’s in? Can I still get away with a Bikini, can you still get Tankini’s and what about the good old one piece swimming suit?
The fact is, we all know that whilst current fashion trends may suit some of us, my advice always has to be – find the ideal swimwear that suits your own unique body shape. Trust me, I guarantee that you will feel more confident. Let’s face it, we need to make the right choice, when else do we bear all for the world to see!
There is a knack to dressing with confidence so before you disappear into the sunset, let me share some Tips and Tricks for choosing swimwear styles to flatter your figure type:
- Brighter colours and prints are best ‘sported’ by those with a smaller bust
- Halter-neck bikinis are flattering for those of us with a larger bust (yay!)
- Fuller or high-waisted briefs add definition and offer more support for troublesome tummies. To avoid the ‘muffin top’ ensure that the briefs extend higher than your tummy button
- Bikini Tops with detachable straps mean you can avoid tan lines (never a good look if you can avoid it)
- Tie-side briefs create curves and are great for those with ‘boyish’ frames if they don’t quite sit on the hips
- Padded cups and V-Necks will help to enhance a smaller bust
- Fuller briefs are a girl’s best friend if you are pear-shaped and need a little more coverage
- Find separately sold pieces which means you can find the perfect fit for both tops and bottoms
- The fuller tankini top is more stylish and age-friendly than a bikini top
photo credit: Bravissimo, Boracay Plunge Tankini
- Select wider straps if you are supporting a fuller bust
- Halter-Necks will visually widen narrow shoulders and helps to balance out pear-shapes
- Select a ruched panel if you need to disguise a troublesome tummy
- Don’t just select Black as a ‘slimming’ technique, your own personal colours will work equally well as does Navy and Berry tones
- Wide hips and thighs can be disguised under a skirt-detail or a cover-up.
- A different coloured side-panel will also help you to look slimmer
photo credit: White Stuff, Tropical Twist Swimsuit
You are going to want to pack a cover-up! Perfect when you need to hot-foot it to the beach bar. You will find a great range of plain and patterns this season. Choose from a selection of lightweight sundresses, stylish sarongs and kaftans.
photo credit: John Lewis, Floral Bardot Dress
Beach or no beach, it is also worth mentioning to those of us with larger knees…….and ahem (over 50!) shorts end at the knee and not above!
You may prefer to order your swimwear on-line in a less pressured environment and where there are no sales assistants to pass judgement on our wobbly bits. It allows us to try on in the comfort of our own home but let us not compromise on the shape or colour and send it back if it is not right.
Don’t take my word for it, learn to wear the shapes that enhance your own body so that you can embrace your beach body with a new-found confidence.
Don’t forget your suncream and sunnies. Happy Beach Body….. and enjoy your holiday, wherever you are.
However all that said, if you would like some advice on dressing with confidence, would like to arrange a personal style consultation with me in my comfortable home studio near York or indeed a shopping trip in the lead up to your holidays then please get in touch on 07494 644788.